The kinnow is a variety of citrus fruit cultivated extensively in Punjab region. They are popularly cut rather than peeled. Kinnow has lots of juice and much flavor , specially the zest, than the ordinary oranges.
Fennel is a flowering plant of the celery family. It is a hardy herb with yellow flowers and feathery leaves. It is a highly aromatic and flavorful herb . Fennel bulb is widely used in salads. It has a texture similar to white onion, but a little more harder.
Orange zest is made by grating the outer, colorful skin of orange. Zest is used to add flavor to foods. Make sure the pith (the spongy white portion) of the orange is not grated.
1) I have used kinnow orange. (see description). Any other type of orange can be used.
1) To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients by whisking till oil emulsifies well with the orange juice.
2) Add 1 tsp. salt and 2 tsp. vinegar to onion and keep aside for 15 minutes.
3) Then squeeze out the water from onion.
4) Finely slice with a grater or mandolin slicer the fennel bulbs.
5) Grate zest from the orange. Peel and segment orange without the white membrane. 6) Mix oranges, fennel and onion and toss well with the dressing.
7) Serve cold.
Serve slightly cold.